Labourers are in demand within the minerals industry as they are central to operations. They help with construction, repair and maintenance and may perform tasks including:
- Operating machines;
- Assisting workers to extract geological materials, using hand tools and equipment;
- Helping to extract craft workers, such as earth drillers, blasters and explosives workers, derrick operators, and mining machine operators and monitoring equipment operation during the extraction process;
- Supplying equipment or cleaning work areas;
- Collecting geological matter, using hand tools and testing devices;
- Signalling workers to start extraction;
- Repairing automotive and drilling equipment;
- Delivery and set-up of materials, devices and machine parts, using hand tools;
- Loading materials into gas or well hole, or equipment, and
- Dismantling and extracting excavation material and equipment.
All-Rounders: $65,000 - $120,000
Source: www.hays.com.au (July 2008)
Entry to this occupation is generally through relevant experience.
Mining companies and contractors are the main employers in the mining industry. Visit Current Vacancies for links to relevant employment websites.