Health & Safety
Health and Safety professionals develop and coordinate safety and health systems and strategies within organisations. They identify workplace hazards, assess risks to employee health and safety, and recommend solutions. Increasingly, Health and Safety Professionals are also responsible for many of the environmental aspects of their workplace. As this profession matures there is an increased emphasis on risk management strategy and on the development of workplace culture.
Safety and health professionals in the minerals industry may perform the following tasks:
- Promote occupational health and safety within their organisation and develop safer and healthier ways of working;
- Make sure that the organisation is aware of, and complies with, all legislation in relation to the use of its plant, equipment and substances, as well as in all workplace activities;
- Help supervise the investigation of accidents and unsafe working conditions, study possible causes and recommend remedial action;
- Develop and implement training sessions for management, supervisors and workers on health and safety practices and legislation;
- Coordinate emergency procedures, mine rescues, fire fighting and first aid crews;
- Communicate frequently with management to report on the status of the health and safety strategy and risk management strategy, and
- Develop occupational health and safety strategies and systems, including policies, procedures and manuals.
Occupational Health and Safety suits someone who:
- Has tact and diplomacy;
- Is able to work as part of a team;
- Is able to work independently;
- Has good communication skills;
- Has good interpersonal skills;
- Has integrity and honesty; and
- Can think laterally.
Health and Safety Officer: $70,000 - $110,000
Health and Safety Manager: $85,000 - $140,000
Source: www.hays.com.au (July 2008)
Requires the completion of a degree at university or a diploma from a TAFE in the area of occupational health and safety. For more information on related courses, visit the Education & Training tab above.